Friday, April 10, 2009

FUN! New Music!

I hope nobody missed me yesterday. I had the crud. You know, the stuff that makes you sleep 11 hours and then makes you take a nap--BEFORE NOON! But chicken soup --courtesy of my wonderful hubby--and bland food sealed the deal and I was back in action today. I did actually get a piece done yesterday only by the time I was done I was so exhausted that I had to nap on the couch--until bedtime

But, today, was a great day. Not accomplishment-wise (it was okay that way.) Rees had ordered a bunch of new cd's from amazon and I got to listen to almost all of them. I had some yummy music resounding around the studio. And, I didn't even have to pick them out. Rees' and my musical preferences overlap greatly--excepting maybe that Rodney Crowell thing--which I have come around on now that Ipodetta and I had a one on one with me explaining that she doesn't get to pick all the music and I only have to listen to him occasionally. But Rees knows mostly what I like and must have filled the amazon cart with me in mind.

If you don't like music or don't care about it, skip the rest of this post. That is all I want to talk about today.

Today started with M. Ward, who is one half of She & Him, at least that is what Rees told me but I haven't yet verified yet. I like She & Him but I like M. Ward more. Album was Hold Time
Next, the Decemberists--the Hazards of Love--they have some nice harmonies. Then, a flash back--The Velvet Underground and Nico--some cool sounds but Nico's voice is very dated but Lou Reed is Lou Reed and it did bring back some memories of college music . Next was Elvis Perkins in Dearland. Right now all I remember is that I really liked it. ( You must remember that I am actually working as I listen to all this and sometimes the music fades to the background as I try to solve an issue or puzzle on a painting.)

The next was Mark Olson and Gary Louris who were the main guys of the Jayhawks before they split up. Really liked the sound. Rees had mentioned reading that they got together again after learning that they were listening to some of the same old folkies, independently. NICK DRAKE, one of my absolute favorites, being one of them. One of the others was Bert Jansch. I listened to that yesterday and really thought it great--off the top of my head I don't remember the album and it is still out in the studio. Amazingly, several of the Mark Olson and Gary Louris tracks are extremely reminiscent of the Bert Jansch. How come no one ever turned me on to this sort of music earlier? I could have avoided listening to Rod Stewart and Bread and Queen and Earth Wind & Fire and Janis Ian and Harry Chapin in the eighth grade, or freshman year. It has been so long I can't really remember. Oh, well, at least I'm learning.

Then, The Buddy & Julie Miller album--Written In Chalk-- was the penultimate choice of the day. They are AWESOME. If you like Texas progressive at all--GO BUY THIS. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The final cd of the day was the new Niko Case album. Sounds like her, which is fine. I think I should have saved the Miller album for last. I find her nice for the shuffle play on ipodetta--yes, I named her--but a little too similar sounding to listen straight through. I think Rees likes that sound more than I do. But, overall, a highly skilled selecting of music I will listen to for some time....thanks, Rees.

One final question--comment-- if you only download music from the internet, how to you get the liner notes? I like them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, great taste in music...
    I've seen Buddy a few times
    http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/5524556

    Good post there Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth--thanks for checking in. I must admit my posts these days have been a little lethargic. Promise a bit more excitement in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete

If you've got a comment or a question, let me know, I'd love to hear from you.