Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Not so thick

I'm thinking I'm getting the hang of the oils. I guess I'd been laying them on too thickly for what I was looking for. Although I must admit that I'm still getting used to mixing the colors on a white background. As a matter of fact, that makes me think I should pull out an old wooden palette I have and try that. It would be more similar in color to the underpainting on these pieces. As it is, all the colors are a big SURPRISE when they first get applied to the painting. So, while these are not finished, they have their first layer of color on them. I'm thinking only one more layer and I'll call them complete. I will have to wait a day or two for this layer to dry enough. I'll post when done.

These two pieces are a bit blanched in my photo. The colors are actually kind of cool. When I get these 3 done, I will have completed 20 oil pieces. Too bad I hadn't set a number for a goal. It would have been something I could cross off my list.

On a musical note, my friend Steve sent a link to npr for some free music from the South by Southwest Music Festival. It is something I'd like to attend sometime. Usually, though, we have a show the weekend of the festival. This year we'll be in Scottsdale. Haven't tried out the music yet but will post about it when I do. I'm not sure how well I've linked to the site but between the http and knowing it is nprmusic, I'll bet you can find it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101438331&sc=nl&cc=asc-20090310
Download a free 10-song sampler of the artists featured by NPR Music at the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, TX this month. Hear and get music from The Decemberists, Blitzen Trapper, The Dirty Projectors, BLK JKS, and more. Just click the link above and follow the instructions for downloading the mix from iTunes.

1 comment:

If you've got a comment or a question, let me know, I'd love to hear from you.