Friday, March 26, 2010

Purple Sky


I don't know about you but I don't think these skies are really purple. But, when I looked at my Holbein colors, that is what the label said. All this time, what they call "Blue Violet" is what I call purple. This color is raspberry frappe! NOT PURPLE! but that is what the manufacturer calls it and the color I need to replenish--no back-ups at all.

The piece on top is done (or will be, once completed) on canvas. The bottom one is on gessobord--my favorite substrate. But, gessobord, when put on a birch cradle is very heavy. And I have this utopia in mind where I have a bunch of large art at a show and none of it is heavy. I can lift the boxes myself. So, despite the fact that I don't love the "give" of the canvas when I poke it with my oil pastels, I'm trying the canvas for the sake of future convenience. We'll see if I have as much fun with it!

The top piece isn't finished yet--foreground needs filling in and some yellowish highlights on the trees are still needed. But, with the snow and snow thunder we are getting, coupled with the fact that is it Friday, I opted not to finish the piece until tomorrow. Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've got a comment or a question, let me know, I'd love to hear from you.