Friday, May 14, 2010

Fly Away! to Your New Home, little creations!

I paint a lot. I like to. People ask if it is difficult to give up (read sell) favorite pieces. My answer is a resounding "NO". First of all, I don't really have favorites. I may like a certain piece because I have attacked and solved a problem--a solution that I know I will be able to use in the future. Or, maybe I had an accidental inspiration--something unintended--occur in a piece. Or maybe I really am fond of a particular reference photo that I have used. What I do have is pieces that are not my favorites--poor step children, as it were. After reading some other artists blogs, I realize that it is okay to delete these pieces. So I do. Occasionally.

But, back to the subject of giving away/selling the creations. I do take a reference snapshot of almost every piece I do ( I am sure I forget a few over the course of a year!). So, I can remember them, with fondness. But, I don't have enough wall space to hang all my work. Actually, my house is chalk full of art--all kinds, but hardly any of mine. And, if I am not selling my pieces they are just sitting in their storage boxes waiting for a home. So, I enjoy meeting the future owners of the pieces, knowing that they want the piece hanging in their home. Sometimes 'cuz they love it and will find a spot for it, and sometimes 'cuz it is just the right piece for a spot. No matter. It will be appreciated. And, that makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've got a comment or a question, let me know, I'd love to hear from you.